SBF Foundation Empathy Series 2021
Taking place last Friday of every month from Jan 2021.
You will learn about disabilities, the strengths of people in need or what it takes to create kindness culture in the workplace and others.
Appreciating Strengths in All of Us
Many have overcome serious challenges that life has thrown at them. These people often express gratitude and even pride for their ability in doing so. They would resonate with Friedrich Nietzsche’s opinion that, “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” This narrative that the strong will overcome has unwittingly reinforced its flip side that the weak will continue to be fraught with problems. Hence, the rallying calls for a more compassion and fair society often appeal to the “haves” to give to the “have-nots” or basically for the strong to help the weak.
In this light, strength and weaknesses are understood to lie in the individual and when one is continually fraught with problems, one is seen to be dependent and not self-reliant. Hence, social services case-manage these individuals, link them to resources and provide counselling to get them back on their feet.
However, despite best intentions and efforts of professionals and volunteers alike, positive outcomes are far and between. It appears that those who utilize social services are too weak to help themselves or to overcome their challenges. Is this really true?
This session will be an interactive experience in appreciating the strengths within people and the weakness in our narratives and systems that deny them.
Mr Gerald EE
Gerard Ee spearheads Beyond Social Services, which rallies different segments of our society to look at our social challenges, especially those in Singapore’s public rental housing estates. Beyond Social Services facilitates community-building in low-income neighborhoods, creating a nurturing environment for children and youth to grow into confident, caring people who can pursue their aspirations and give to their community. After 37 years of service as a youth worker, family therapist and community-builder, he firmly believes that social work is not simply about problem-solving but is a peace-building process that engages people to be a little kinder, fairer and more cooperative.
For more information, please contact [email protected]
- Please log on with your Username and Password to register. If you have no existing account with Singapore Business Federation (SBF), please create one for registration.
- Upon registration, you can make payment directly by PayPal (for Credit / Debit Card), PayNow Corporate or Bank Transfer. An auto e-acknowledgement and invoice will be sent to your registered email.
- No cancellation is allowed upon registration but attendance by a replacement delegate from your company due to exigency could be facilitated. Please notify SBF of this change, giving at least 3 working days’ notice prior to the date of the workshop to enable logistical arrangements for the replacement.
- Full payment must be received with registration prior to the date of the workshop to guarantee your place.
- Admission into the workshop is only allowed if payment / proof of payment has been received prior to the day.
- Participants will still be liable for payment in the event of no-show on actual day of the workshop.
- SBF reserves the right to cancel, postpone, reschedule or make any adjustments to the workshop where necessary
Select one of the following electronic payment options available (Please key in the invoice number for our reference)
- PayPal (pay by Credit or Debit card)
- PayNow Corporate (UEN: T02SS0073H)
- Bank Transfer (Bank / Branch Code: 7375 / 018, Account No: 118-313-180-5)
Billing Organisation via UOB or DBS Website/Mobile app
Ref No : SB210529
All information, materials and related graphics contained herein and/or provided in the course of the training session(s) (hereinafter referred to as “Information and Materials”) are intended for informational and/or educational purposes only. The Singapore Business Federation does not claim ownership of any of the Information and Materials provided by the external training vendor(s). The information and Materials may from time to time include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors, and changes may be added periodically as may be necessary. Please note that photography, audio and video recording may occur during these events. All photography, audio and video recording may be used by Singapore Business Federation for education, marketing, promotional and/or publication purposes. If you do not wish to have your image recorded or published, for compelling and legitimate grounds relating to your particular situation, please inform our staff.