This is a ½ day virtual learning programme. Upon successful registration and payment, registrants will receive a web link and access details of the workshop.
The area of employment law in Malaysia has always known to be pro-employees. Foreign investors who entered into the Malaysia market usually find themselves unaware of the differences in human resource practice and management in Malaysia. Making a mistake in such practice can be costly to an employer if an industrial action is subsequently commenced by employees against the employer. As companies consider establishing offices in Malaysia, it is important for business owners to have the fundamental understanding of labour practices and are compliant with the local albour law.
This workshop seeks to address the following essential points of Malaysian employment laws :
1. The Malaysian Employment Act
- Categories of protected employees
- The types of statutorily-prescribed minimum standards and entitlement
- Effect of non-compliance
2. Unfair dismissal claims
3. Basis of claims
4. The requirement of "just cause or excuse" terminations
5. Constructive dismissal
7. Employee management requirements
8. The dos, don'ts and key considerations of handling poor performance and misconduct cases
9. Probationers' rights
10. Termination of grounds of redundancy
11. Requirements to justify such termination
12. Severance payment
Participants will gain insights and understanding on :
- the liability exposure when employees are not managed properly
- the different grounds as well as labour standards and practices for employee management
- the rights under the Malaysian Employment Act
Who Would Benefit
HR professionals, practitioners and in-house legal counsel
Meet The Trainers
Senior Associate, Wong & Partners
Sujintana Monkolthanit is the senior associate in the Corporate, Commercial & Securities Group of Wong & Partners and focuses on issues and areas relating to employment. She has assisted clients from various industries on issues about employment and labour law, including employment contracts, unions, workforce reductions, performance management or misconduct terminations. She also advises on Malaysian immigration issues including application of work permits as well as on general compliance issues. She has also advised and assisted in general civil and commercial matters.
Sujintana is recognised as an Associate to watch for Employment & Industrial Relations by Chambers Asia Pacific 2021.
Han Yang Quek
Legal Assistant, Wong & Partners
Han Yang Quek is the legal assistant in the Corporate, Commercial & Securities Group of Wong & Partners with a practice focus on employment law. He has assisted clients across various industries such as manufacturing, pharmaceuticals and financial services with issues relating to labour law and compliance, employee investigations, performance management, workforce reduction and general employment issues arising from transactional matters.