Finance and investment decisions are inter-related: businesses need funds to invest in projects which will generate wealth for the firm. In business ventures, relating the risks involved and required returns by the investor is an important aspect to know. This workshop highlights how such risks and returns can be incorporated when an enterprise is making long-term investment decisions. Overall, there is a growing trend to work in multi-disciplinary teams where knowledge of the core finance concepts is necessary to achieve a common level of understanding and communication in relation to shared objectives and corporate drivers.
This programme delves beneath the surface into various aspects of financial management by examining topics such as financing the business, risk and return, investment appraisals, and valuation.
1. Introduction to Financial Management
- Goals of financial management; corporate strategy and financial strategy; role of finance function
- Objectives of business enterprise; wealth or profit maximization; shareholder objectives and agency problems
2. Financing the Business
- Long-term versus short-term financing; debt versus equity financing; gearing and the long-term financing decision
3. Cost of Capital
- Cost of fund; debt versus equity; combined cost of capital; benefit and risk of borrowing; risk and return relationship
4. Time Value of Money Concept
- Time value of money concept; future value and present value concepts
5. Investment Appraisals
- Nature of investment decisions; methods of investment appraisals; accounting rate of return; payback period; net present value; internal rate of return
Theory and concepts of fundamental finance and investment will be discussed. Methods of evaluating long-term investment projects will also be introduced. Case examples will be used to illustrate the application of investing financing concepts. Published corporate information and recent corporate development, both local and overseas, will be used to provide “real-life" examples.
Who Should Attend
Decision-makers and managers who do not work in accounting and finance, but who need to know how basic accounting and finance work and to apply the accounting and finance related techniques when making business decisions. Also, suitable for those who need to make presentations to boards or committees so that they can present their ideas to a higher level of financial authority.
LIM KAIM SOON
CA(SINGAPORE), EMBA(HELSINKI), FCCA (UK), BBA (HONS), NUS
Lim Kaim Soon graduated from the National University of Singapore with a bachelor degree (honours) in Business Administration, majoring in finance and investment. He is also a fellow member of the Chartered Association of Certified Accountants, UK. He obtained his Executive MBA at the Helsinki School of Economics (now Aalto University), Finland.
Lim Kaim Soon also regularly conducts workshops, seminars, and in-house training to management and staff of statutory boards and business corporations on financial and management accounting, corporate investment and financing, as well as corporate due diligence.
Fee Per Pax
(inclusive of GST)
31 May 2019 (Fri)
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
160 Robinson Road #06-01, SBF Center
SBF Member - $428
Non-Member - $535
Fee include course materials, lunch & tea breaks
Upon completion of the workshop, each participant will receive a certificate of attendance
- Please log on to https://login.sbf.org.sg/SBFPortal/Sign_In.aspxwith your Username and Password to register. Please create an account for registration if you do not have an existing account with Singapore Business Federation (SBF).
- Upon registration, you can make payment using credit card via our online payment platform. An auto e-acknowledgement and invoice will be sent to your registered email.
- No cancellation is allowed upon registration but attendance by a replacement delegate from your company is welcomed. Please notify SBF of the change giving at least 3 days’ prior notice to event date to enable logistical arrangements for the replacement to be made.
- A registration confirmation email will be sent to the registered participant closer to the course date.
- Full payment is required with registration and must be received prior the workshop to guarantee your place. Participants will only be admitted if payment/proof of payment has been received prior to the workshop or on event day.
- Participant will still be liable for full payment in the event of no-show on actual day of the workshop.
- SBF reserves the right to cancel or make any adjustments to the workshop.
1) Electronic Payment
Internet banking services with UOB or DBS via Billing Organization.
2) VISA/MASTERCARD Terminal
Payment can be made via our VISA/MasterCard terminal in our office
3) Cheque Payment
Please cross your cheque payable to Singapore Business Federation and mail it to 160 Robinson Rd #06-01, SBF Center, Singapore 068914
Indicate the Invoice number, Company and Participant name at the back of the cheque.
If you have registered less than 5 working days before the event date, please bring along the cheque on the day of workshop.
For more information, contact Josephine Lin at firstname.lastname@example.org l 6701 1131
Note : To safeguard the well-being of all participants, we advise members who are feeling unwell to refrain from attending the workshop.
All information, materials and related graphics contained herein and/or provided in the course of the training session(s) (hereinafter referred to as “Information and Materials”) are intended for informational and/or educational purposes only. The Singapore Business Federation does not claim ownership of any of the Information and Materials provided by the external training vendor(s). The information and Materials may from time to time include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors, and changes may be added periodically as may be necessary. Please note that photography, audio and video recording may occur during these events. All photography, audio and video recording may be used by Singapore Business Federation for education, marketing, promotional and/or publication purposes. If you do not wish to have your image recorded or published, for compelling and legitimate grounds relating to your particular situation, please inform our staff.