Finance and investment decisions are inter-related : businesses need funds to invest in projects which will generate wealth for the firm. In business ventures, relating the risks involved and required returns by the investor is an important aspect to know.
This workshop highlights how much risks and returns can be incorporated when an enterprise is making long-term investment decisions. Overall, there is a growing trend to work in multi-disciplinary teams where knowledge of the core finance concepts is necessary to achieve a common level of understanding and communication in relation to shared objectives and corporate drivers.
1. Introduction to Financial Management
- Goals of financial management; corporate strategy and financial strategy; role of finance function
- Objectives of business enterprise; wealth or profit maximisation; shareholder objectives and agency problems
2. Financing the Business
- Long-term versus short-term financing; debt versus equity financing; gearing and the long-term financing decision
3. Cost of Capital
- Cost of fund; debt versus equity; combined cost of capital; benefit and risk of borrowing; risk and return relationship
4. Time Value of Money Concept
- Time value of money concept; future value and present value concepts
5. Investment Appraisals
- Nature of investment decisions; methods of investment appraisals; accounting rate of return; payback period; net present value; internal rate of return
Theory and concepts of fundamental finance and investment will be discussed. Methods of evaluating long-term investment projects will also be introduced. Case examples will be used to illustrate the application of investing financing concepts. Published corporate information and recent corporate development, both local and overseas, will be used to provide “real-life" examples.
Note: Participants are to bring their own calculators for this workshop
After this workshop, participants will delves beneath the surface into various aspects of financial management by examining topic such as financing the business, risk and return, investment appraisals and valuation.
Who Should Attend
Decision-makers and managers who do not work in accounting and finance, but who need to know how basic accounting and finance work and to apply the accounting and finance related techniques when making business decisions. Also, suitable for those who need to make presentations to boards or committees so that they can present their ideas to a higher level of financial authority.
LIM KAIM SOON
CA(SINGAPORE), EMBA(HELSINKI), FCCA (UK), BBA (HONS), NUS
Kaim Soon graduated from the National University of Singapore with a Bachelor degree (honours) in Business Administration (majoring in finance & investment). He is also a fellow member of the Chartered Association of Certified Accountants, UK. Kaim Soon completed his Executive MBA at the Helsinki School of Economics (now Aalto University), Finland.
Kaim Soon has been a corporate trainer specializing in accounting and financial management, working with various local and overseas consulting and training institutes. He conducts regular workshops, seminars and in-house group training to senior management and staff of statutory boards and business corporations
Through his own company, he provides financial consultancy services to local as well as foreign companies in Singapore. His areas of specialization include financial & management accounting, corporate investment and financing, as well as corporate due diligence. He likes to adopt unique training methods as the emphasis is application-oriented i.e. learn-apply-related to what the individual does in his/her work. He often uses the actual corporate financial data to perform and show financial analysis in the real business world.
Kaim Soon’s past corporate working experiences include financial control and general management in banking, insurance, retail and manufacturing industries.
- Please logon to https://login.sbf.org.sg/sbf with your Username and Password to register.
- Please create an account for registration if you do not have an existing account with Singapore Business Federation (SBF)
- Upon registration, please make payment using Credit Card via online payment platform. Auto e-acknowledgement and invoice will be sent to your registered email.
- No cancellation will be allowed upon registration but attendance by a replacement delegate from your company due to exigency could be facilitated. Please notify SBF of the change with at least 3 working days’ notice prior to event to enable logistical arrangements for the replacement.
- Payments are required with registration and must be received prior the event to guarantee your place.
- Participants will only be admitted if payment/proof of payment has been received prior to the event or on event day.
- You will still be liable for the payment in the event of no-show on actual day of the event.
- SBF reserves the right to cancel or make any adjustments to the event.
Other Payment Modes:
- Electronic Payment (Preferred payment mode. Document reference - Please key in 8-digit invoice number)
Corporate PayNow (UEN: T02SS0073H),
Bank Transfer (Bank / Branch Code: 7375 / 018, Account No: 118-313-180-5)
Billing Organisation via UOB or DBS Website/Mobile app
- VISA/MASTERCARD Terminal
Payment can be made via our VISA/MasterCard terminal in our office
- Cheque Payment
Please cross your cheque payable to Singapore Business Federation and send it to:
160 Robinson Rd #06-01, SBF Center, Singapore 068914
Please indicate the Invoice number, Company and Participant(s) name(s) at the back of the cheque.
If you have registered less than 5 working days before the event date, please bring along your cheque on the day of event.
Ref No: SB190417
All information, materials and related graphics contained herein and/or provided in the course of the training session(s) (hereinafter referred to as “Information and Materials”) are intended for informational and/or educational purposes only. The Singapore Business Federation does not claim ownership of any of the Information and Materials provided by the external training vendor(s). The information and Materials may from time to time include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors, and changes may be added periodically as may be necessary. Please note that photography, audio and video recording may occur during these events. All photography, audio and video recording may be used by Singapore Business Federation for education, marketing, promotional and/or publication purposes. If you do not wish to have your image recorded or published, for compelling and legitimate grounds relating to your situation, please inform our staff.